Alan Gourgey QC
Call: 1984 QC: 2003
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Alan is a prominent and very experienced commercial silk who is recommended by the legal directories as “a real star” for commercial dispute resolution and civil fraud. Regarded as “a brilliant all-rounder” who is truly “outstanding” and a “go to for high value briefs”, his areas of practice also cover arbitration, banking litigation, company and insolvency.
In addition to appearing/advising the English Courts, Alan also has considerable international experience in commercial disputes particularly in relation to international arbitration. He also sits as an arbitrator.
Clients note “his intellectual agility and strong advocacy skills” as well as the fact that “he is very user-friendly and supportive”, “a real team player”. They also value the fact that he is “a very impressive cross-examiner who is completely on the ball and has all the facts at his fingertips”. He is regarded as “a really great advocate who is absolutely outstanding in court”.
The recent 2016 edition of Chambers & Partners describes him “in one word, brilliant. He has a fantastic legal mind, and he is also very commercial in how he approaches disputes. Excellent at dealing with everybody, he’s approachable and not aloof. Once in court he’s a great cross-examiner who can delivery submissions without any reference to notes.”
Alan has extensive experience of high value and large scale domestic and international arbitrations, be they under UNCITRAL, ICC, LCIA, Stockholm Chamber of Commerce or ad hoc procedures. Some of his recent experience includes:
His arbitrations in relation to gas supply contracts have involved issues over price adjustments or price formula revisions under long term supply contracts and have required extensive cross-examination of experts on a range of issues including gas pricing, industry practice, economics of gas supply, quantum and foreign law (including for example section 36 of the Swedish Contracts Act).
Alan is a team-player who is well used to slotting into an already established arbitration team and working with the team to present the case before a common law or a civil law tribunal or a combination of the two.
Some if his recent experience includes:
- Acting for subsidiaries of a Russian State owned gas company in Stockholm arbitrations relating to the transit of natural gas to Europe and the supply of natural gas.
- UNCITRAL arbitration in London concerning breaches of distribution agreements relationg to mining equipment.
- ICC arbitration in Geneva concerning a substantial fraud claim against a major bank.
- A Stockholm Chamber of Commerce arbitration involving claims of around $1.5 billion on a gas contract dispute.
- An ICC arbitration concerning price revision, construction and factual issues in respect of a long term take or pay gas supply contract.
- An UNCITRAL arbitration concerning an offshore mooring agreement between an African State and international contractor.
- An ICC arbitration concerning contractual claims relating to major infrastructure project involving parties in London, the USA and Turkey.
- LCIA arbitration concerning the operation of a space satellite.
- An UNCITRAL arbitration concerning a major distribution agreement, raising a range of factual and expert issues.
- An LCIA arbitration concerning a government defence contract.
- Beth Din arbitration concerning a joint venture dispute.
- Alan is currently sitting as an arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration on a joint venture dispute concerning assets in Russia