+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Andrew has significant experience of trust-related matters (both offshore and onshore). The majority of his work is contentious but he also regularly advises in non-contentious matters.
Over recent years, he has applied his knowledge of trust law and fiduciary obligations to differing contexts, in particular divorce proceedings, commercial disputes and corporate
Recent notable matters that Andrew has worked on include the following:
- In the matter of an Application for Information about a Trust. Andrew is instructed in these Bermudian proceedings for a beneficiary seeking information about the administration of a trust which contains a provision restricting disclosure in the trust instrument. The case is due to be heard by the Privy Council in 2015.
- Charman v Charman. Court of Appeal decision involving the largest-ever contested divorce award in England and Wales which considered the extent to which the assets of an offshore discretionary trust should be taken into account for ancillary relief purposes.
- Rybolovleva v Rybolovlev. Acting for a husband in satellite litigation arising out of divorce proceedings in Geneva and involving trust and related issues. The divorce award made by the Swiss Court was in the sum of around 4 billion Swiss francs.
- Advising in respect of several other confidential divorce cases which involve trusts, conflicts of law, enforcement issues and interim relief.
- In the matter of an Isle of Man Trust. Andrew acted for the trustee of an Isle of Man trust in proceedings in the Isle of Man courts which sought various declarations and the ‘blessing’ or a momentous decision proposed by the trustee.
- Al-Bassam v Al-Bassam. Long-running dispute involving issues of probate, succession, domicile, conflict of laws and forgery of a will and marriage certificate.
- Advising in respect of an ongoing investigation by the SEC, IRS and New York District Attorney into a series of settlements administered in the Isle of Man.
- Advising on the appropriate drafting of an IPO prospectus which required the disclosure of various interests under settlements.
- Acting and advising in respect of cases under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.