+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Bobby is, as described in the legal directories, a “rising star” who is “staggeringly clever” and “noted for his advocacy capabilities and the practical approach he takes to cases.”
He has a very busy practice focusing on commercial disputes, including civil fraud – with extensive experience of freezing injunctions, as well as Russian/CIS disputes; company and insolvency; commercial trusts; and pensions. Bobby appears frequently in both the Commercial and Chancery Courts as well as in arbitrations. He has substantial offshore experience and has been called to the bar in the BVI.
Bobby works well both as sole counsel and when being led as a junior. He frequently appears unled in the High Court, often against silks, in high-value and complicated matters, and has also acted in a junior in numerous difficult and high-profile disputes. Bobby recognises the importance of a detailed and analytical approach, and combines this with pragmatism and tenacity.
Bobby has been recognised in the legal directories for a number of years (unusually so for someone of his call). As Chambers & Partners notes, he is “unafraid to make difficult calls and he portrays a confidence that belies his years“; is “very consistent and authoritative” in his advice; and has a “tenacious advocacy style.” Other comments include that Bobby “is fun to work with, super clever and incredibly responsive”; and that “He is a very good junior who gives very efficient and effective service, and has strong advocacy skills.”
A snapshot of ongoing and recent cases includes:
- Acting as sole counsel for the defendant resisting a major Commercial Court fraud claim worth over £1 billion.
- As sole counsel in a number of separate High Court fraud claims arising out of email “phishing” attacks. Bobby has successfully obtained (and held) a number of freezing injunctions as well as Norwich Pharmacal/Bankers Trust relief (3 separate cases, ongoing); Solid property v Singh  3 WLUK 589.
- Acting for a major international company resisting the enforcement of an arbitration award worth some $3 billion, in the Commercial Court AB v CD .
- Representing a company bringing a number of LCIA arbitration claims in fraud arising from a Russian dispute, worth hundreds of millions of pounds (ongoing).
- BVI proceedings concerning whether a trust of shares in a very high-profile Ukrainian company is a fraud (ongoing).
- Acting for an inter-dealer broker bringing a major High Court claim for conspiracy and breach of confidentiality (ongoing).
- A major Commercial Court claim for a client seeking damages in deceit and unlawful means conspiracy. Bobby was part of a team that successfully obtained a number of freezing injunctions (Gerald Metals v Timis  EWHC 1375).
- Representing the administrators of Force India defending a very substantial Chancery Division claim concerning the sale of the Formula One team’s business and assets (ongoing).
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration for a client seeking damages of hundreds of millions of pounds arising from breaches of a contract concerning the operation of a mine (ongoing).
- Acting in an LME arbitration concerning the non-delivery of copper concentrate (ongoing).
- Acting as sole counsel in a Chancery Division claim arising from a commercial contract worth £60 million, which settled shortly before trial in 2017 (Frogmore v Nationwide).
- Alberto Chang Abate (ongoing). Bobby is acting for the Chilean liquidator following the bankruptcy of a well-known Chilean businessman amidst allegations of a widespread international “Ponzi” type fraud, perpetrated within the Arcano Group, in Chile, the US and the BVI. Bobby obtained recognition of the Chilean bankruptcy in the UK (thought to be the first such order ever to be obtained).
- Acting as a junior in Re ARM Asset Backed Securities, a significant High Court insolvency claim concerning the distribution of assets on the insolvency of a bond provider, which settled immediately prior to trial in 2017.
- Acting as a junior in a significant LCIA arbitration concerning a Russian commercial dispute (2018, adjourned).
- Bobby has particular expertise in pensions regulatory proceedings. He has acted for the targets in some of the most notable regulatory cases of recent years, including moral hazard proceedings such as GPG, Staveley and Brunel (and others that remain confidential). He has recently been acting for a company resisting the exercise of the Regulator’s powers under s.231 PA 04.
- Bobby is particularly noted for his experience with pensions liberation, where he has been involved in most of the significant cases in recent years.
- Successfully acting for a fixed charge-holder resisting an injunction sought against a receiver, and then obtaining the appointment of an administrator on a contested application (Re SS Agri Power Limited  EWHC 2431 (Ch)).