+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Bobby is, as described in the legal directories, a “rising star” who is “staggeringly clever” and “noted for his advocacy capabilities and the practical approach he takes to cases.”
He has a very busy practice across Chambers’ core areas, in particular: pensions; trusts; general commercial disputes (domestic and international); civil fraud; company and insolvency; wills and probate; professional negligence; private client; commercial property; and partnership. He has also undertaken work in a number of offshore jurisdictions.
Bobby works well both as sole counsel and when being led as a junior. He frequently appears unled in the High Court, often against silks, in high-value and complicated matters, and has also acted in a junior in a number of difficult and high-profile disputes. Bobby recognises the important of a detailed and analytical approach, and combines this with pragmatism and tenacity.
Bobby has been recognised in the legal directories for a number of years (unusually so for someone of his call). As Chambers & Partners notes, he is “unafraid to make difficult calls and he portrays a confidence that belies his years“; is “very consistent and authoritative” in his advice; and has a “tenacious advocacy style.”
Chambers & Partners has also reported that “he takes a very thorough approach to matters and is a charming and friendly character.”
A snapshot of recent cases of note includes:
- Acting as sole counsel in a High Court claim worth £60 million.
- Being instructed as a junior in a two-week commercial expert determination.
- Bobby has particular expertise in pensions regulatory proceedings. He is acting for the targets defending a Warning Notice issued by the Pensions Regulator seeking a contribution notice; and has acted also for the targets in three very significant pensions moral hazard proceedings concerning the issuing of FSDs.
- As sole counsel in the High Court, successfully obtaining worldwide freezing injunctions over more than £10m of assets and trustee appointments.
- A seven-week High Court pensions trial (as a junior) (IBM v Dalgleish).
- Acting as a junior in a High Court civil fraud and professional negligence claim worth over £50m.
- Successfully arguing in a High Court Part 8 claim for a novel construction of the provisions of the Companies Act 2006 concerning a reduction of capital.
- As junior counsel, acting for the Pensions Regulator in the significant Pollock v Reed litigation.
- Acting for the company in the Shannan v Viavi High Court trial (as a junior).
- Acting as a junior in a significant claim concerning the distribution of assets on the insolvency of a bond provider.
- Acting as a junior in the High Court cases of Pi v The Pensions Regulator and Ors and Dalriada v Nidd Vale Trustees Limited and Ors determining whether a number of pension schemes were occupational pension schemes within the Pension Schemes Act 1993.
- A two-week probate trial in the High Court.
- Acting as a junior to Henry Legge QC in writing an expert report on English pensions law for the long-running Nortel litigation.
- Bobby is particularly noted for his experience with pensions liberation, where he has been involved in most of the significant cases in recent years.
- Bobby also frequently appears in a wide range of procedural hearings.