+44 (0)207 306 email@example.com
Banking & Finance
Graeme has acted in many high-profile banking and financial services matters. Many of his cases involve investment disputes, and in particular joint venture, hedge fund and private equity litigation. Offshore vehicles, offshore litigation and onshore cases involving offshore legal issues are his bread and butter, and he regularly acts in cases in the Cayman Islands and the BVI or as an expert on matters of offshore law in onshore cases. A significant proportion of his matters concern parallel litigation in the United States.
Some of his recent directory entries include:
- “Frequently instructed in high-value, high-stakes cases concerning financial and insolvency issues.” Chambers UK
- “Lauded as a dynamic and seasoned advocate and sources were unanimous in praising his commercial litigation practice.” Chambers UK
- “He maintains a diverse and dynamic commercial litigation practice, and has strengths in banking and financial disputes and cross-border fraud.” Chambers UK
- “He is a fighter, who seems to be at the cutting edge of developments like worldwide freezing injunctions.” Chambers UK
- “He is invaluable in complex cases.” Legal 500
- “Particularly commend for his expertise in finance-related professional negligence matters.” Legal 500
Representative work includes:
Acting for administrators of Lehman Brothers on post-collapse claims against counterparties including claims in England and the Cayman Islands.
Representing bond investors in the OGX Brazilian oil conglomerate which collapsed with $60bn losses in fraud claims against former management, including co-ordinating worldwide freezing orders and disclosure orders in several jurisdictions.
Advising on numerous derivative misselling claims, for claimants, defendants and in regulatory matters. Examples are:
- Claims by business owners against banks for interest swap misselling. Claims by business owners against banks for interest swap misselling.
- Acting for leading football club in claims concerning currency derivative contracts.
- Acting for FRC in proceedings against directors and auditors connected with derivative losses incurred by Manchester Building Society.
Advised administrators of the Angel Group on an application for their removal and responses to allegations by owners and management of misconduct by their appointing bank and advisers to that bank.
Advised directors of insolvent company on claims against the company’s bank in calling in loans immediately after re-financing was agreed on terms which extended the personal liabilities of the directors and the effects of the company being placed in the bank’s restructuring group.
Representing investors in Cayman Islands and BVI companies in numerous share valuation disputes.
Engaged by FRC in investigations and proceedings following the sale of the Autonomy business to HP and the subsequent $8bn loss realised on the transaction.
Acting in litigation concerning life settlement fund litigation, including:
- Advising liquidators of a failed life settlement fund on the application of the realisation of assets and claims on behalf of the fund; and Advising liquidators of a failed life settlement fund on the application of the realisation of assets and claims on behalf of the fund; and
- Advising investor groups in a life settlement fund that suffered significant capital losses as a result of asset revaluation.
Acting as expert on issues of offshore law in the English High Court and US jurisdictions as to the duties of fund directors in claims brought by creditors and/or investors.
Representing England-based director in a collapsed property investment company involved in investor litigation in the United States, BVI and England.
Advising Russian high net worth individual on effect of freezing orders, disclosure orders, third party orders and parallel relief in offshore jurisdictions following claims in High Court for damages in excess $200m arising out of a corporate finance transaction.