Ian Croxford QC
Call: 1976 QC: 1993
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Ian has for many years acted for (and occasionally against) professional firms in connection with substantial litigation. Much of that work has been in connection with accountants (audit, advisory and investigation work) and solicitors, but it has also extended beyond that and included civil engineers, stockbrokers and others.
Recent cases include:
- Rangers FC v Collyer Bristow and another (2012-2015) Defending a firm of solicitors in respect of various claims made following the allegedly fraudulent acquisition and then the collapse of Rangers FC.
- Dorchester Project Management Ltd v BNP Paribas Real Estate Advisory & Property Management UK Ltd and another (2014). Defending a £750 million claim arising from the Second Defendant’s acquisition and subsequent plans for mixed use development of substantial land in East London. A factually and legally complex case involving issues of duties of confidence, planning, development valuation, measure of damages (loss of chance, loss of profits, accounts and Wrotham Park basis), expert evidence of valuation, planning and development finance.
- Challinor v Juliet Bellis & Co (2012- 2015) Defence (at trial and in the Court of Appeal) of a solicitor’s firm sued by 21 claimants in respect of monies paid to the firm in the course of an unregulated investment scheme seeking to develop an airport property. Issues involved not only a keen dispute of fact as to what was known to central participants but the legal nature of Quistclose trusts, resulting trusts, unjust enrichment and the Duomatic principle.
- Re International Consolidated Minerals Plc. (2014) Defence of the former Administrators of a Peruvian mining company in respect of a $100+m claim brought by their successors alleging negligent sale at an undervalue of a polymetallic mine. Complex issues of fact and law concerning duties of an Administrator, Peruvian insolvency law and valuation of a mine.
- Westwood Shipping (2012-2013) Defending a City firm of Solicitors, in respect of a claim involving alleged participation by one of its partners in a fraud on creditors practised by a client.
- Moulin Global Eyecare Holdings Plc. (2007-2010) Acting in Defence of a “big 4” firm of Accountants in respect of claims brought in Hong Kong by a Liquidator alleging audit negligence.
- (2012-2015) Acting in Defence of a “big 4” firm of Accountants in respect of claims brought in Malaysia by a Liquidator of a group of listed companies alleging audit negligence.
- Bank of Scotland v DTZ and others (2013) Defending a valuer in respect of a mortgage lender’s claims. The action concerned valuation of a “trophy” country house.
- (2010-2011) acting for multinational law firm in connection with claims made in England concerning allegedly negligent advice and conspiracy to defraud in connection with a shareholder dispute involving companies trading in the UK and US.
- (2011-2014) acting for a “top 10” firm of accountants in defending claims brought by a former client in respect of alleged mismanagement of funds and negligent tax advice.
- (2014 ) acting for a “Big 4” firm of accountants in respect of FRC disciplinary proceedings arising out of audits of an AIM Listed company.
- (2010) acting for a “top 10” firm of accountants in defending claims alleging participation in an advance fee fraud.
- Caliendo v Mishcon de Reya (2013-) Defending a claim brought by a former chairman of Queens Park Rangers alleging negligence in connection with the sale of QPR to an Italian businessman in 2007.
- IC Mutual v Sands and others (2009)
- Fulham Leisure Holdings v Nicholson Graham & Jones (2008)
- Bedford Row Film Finance (2007)
- A-G of Zambia v Meer Care Desai and others (2007)
- Krishnani v Brewin Dolphin (2007)
- St Paul’s Travellers v Okporuah (2006)