James Ayliffe QC
Call: 1987 QC: 2008
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Joint Venture & Partnership
James has wide experience of issues and disputes relating to joint ventures and partnership arrangements of all types (contractual, corporate, LLP, LLC, trust etc), including
- enforceability of JV/partnership agreements, breach of JV/partnership agreements;
- breach of fiduciary and other duties owed by JV/partnership members;
- claims for mismanagement of JV/partnership assets;
- claims for misappropriation of JV/partnership assets (including knowing receipt/assistance claims);
- termination and winding up of JV/partnership arrangements.
James’s experience in the field includes a particular familiarity with the issues that arise in disputes concerning joint ventures or partnerships for the acquisition, development or other exploitation of real property assets.
Some representative cases include:
- advising property unit trust in relation to expert determination of disputes arising in relation to joint venture for re-development of city centre shopping centre;
- advising pension fund trustees in relation to dispute with joint venture partner in relation to marketing and sale of their interest in the joint venture;
- representing member of LLP for property investment/development in £10m claim for damages for breach of fiduciary and other duties and recovery of ‘secret profit’ made by partner;
- advising property developer facing £40m claim by former JV partner for account of profits from acquisition and development of valuable land site;
- representing corporate vehicle for investment of Euro 60m in shopping malls in Eastern Europe in defence of multi-million pound claim by one of investors;
- acting for one of two 50/50 shareholders in dispute relating to joint venture for sale of agricultural equipment in the former CIS;
- advising investor in joint venture for establishment of a private jet hire business regarding dispute with other investors.
Chambers and Partners 2018 notes, when commenting on James’s commercial chancery work, the many real property joint venture cases handled by him.