Joanna Smith QC
Call: 1990 QC: 2009
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanna’s experience is extensive. She acts on both sides in disputes concerning a wide variety of different professionals, including solicitors, barristers, accountants, actuaries, financial advisers, valuers, surveyors and construction professionals. Over the last few years, Joanna has:
- Appeared in the Supreme Court in Tiuta International Ltd v De Villiers Chartered Surveyors Ltd  UKSC 77.
- Acted in a multi-million pound loss of a chance claim involving allegations of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty against a substantial firm of solicitors and counsel – a case which settled the working day before trial.
- Appeared in the Court of Appeal in Orientfield Holdings v Bird & Bird LLP  PNLR 31, a claim involving arguments on causation.
- Acted in July 2016 in a trial concerning the alleged negligence of the solicitor – The Connaught Income Fund Series 1 v Hewetts Solicitors  EWHC 2286 (Ch) (a case which will be considered by the Court of Appeal at a 2 day appeal in 2018).
- Advised in a £multi-million claim of negligence against auditors and appeared in that case to argue about the impact of a part 36 Offer – Tiuta v Rawlinson & Hunter  EWHC 3480 (comm).
- Advised and appeared on behalf of M&E contractors in a £multi-million multiparty dispute concerning alleged defects in the development of Broadway Plaza in Birmingham: CIP Properties (AIPT) Ltd v Galliford Try Infrastructure Ltd & Others  EWHC 1345;  BLR 285 and  1 ALL ER (Comm) 765.
- Advised and acted on behalf of a specialist flooring contractor in a multi-party case involving the design and installation of an internal steel reinforced concrete floor slab and the piles beneath it at a substantial warehouse in Avonmouth. Joanna successfully obtained a permanent injunction for her client precluding one of the other parties from commencing adjudication proceedings on grounds of jurisdiction (Twintec Ltd v Volkerfitzpatrick Ltd  EWHC 10 (TCC))
- Acted on behalf of liquidators in a suite of claims against valuers, solicitors and auditors.
- Acted in a multi-million pound claim against valuers in respect of an alleged overvaluation of a holiday park in Cornwall.
- Acted in a multi-million pound claim by Pirelli against its water treatment specialists in respect of the collapse of a furnace tube in a boiler at its factory.
- Advised in a substantial claim against accountants in respect of tax planning advice and assistance provided over many years to a high net worth individual.
- Acted in a substantial claim by a property development company against its contractor and structural engineers. This case settled shortly before trial. For the judgment in the preliminary issue application see Aldersgate Estates Lt v Ham Construction  CILL 3321.
- Acted in a multi-million pound claim against project managers and quantity surveyors in relation to the construction of a flagship project for a well-known car manufacturer.
- Acted on behalf of a company in a claim against solicitors for breach of contract/negligence in advising on the terms of a sale agreement (including terms as to disposal overage) for the purchase of a substantial commercial building in North London. This case settled at the door of the court.
- Advised the trustees of a pension scheme in a substantial claim in breach of contract/ negligence against their investment managers (who it is alleged wrongly entered into a currency hedging arrangement on their behalf) and against their investment advisers (who it is alleged should have identified the error in the hedging arrangement).
- Appeared at the three-day hearing of an application by her solicitor clients for summary judgment on a very substantial claim of breach of trust/unlawful means conspiracy/fraud arising out of work done on behalf of a band known as ‘Musical Youth’ in the 1980s. Judgment was handed down on 23 March 2012 in favour of the solicitor defendants (Seaton v Seddon  EWHC 735 (Ch).
- Advised a leading firm of solicitors in respect of a substantial claim in negligence arising out of their conduct of litigation.
- Advised ATE insurers on the merits of funding various pieces of substantial litigation involving professionals.
- Advised valuers in respect of a substantial claim in negligence by a bank in respect of valuations carried out in March 2007 on a series of investment properties in Margate.
- Advised and appeared at interim applications in a multi-million pound claim against a leading firm of solicitors for fraudulent misrepresentation and negligence.
- Appeared at a trial against valuers arising by reason of negligent valuations of licensed premises (Scottish & Newcastle UK Limited v Westlake).
- Appeared at a trial against solicitors for whom Joanna acted in their successful defence of a third party claim (Hageman v Holmes & Seddons  EWHC 50).
- Advised on a substantial claim against a leading firm of accountants for negligence in their advice on the UK tax consequences of a proposed share dividend.
- Advised on a claim against a barrister of negligent advice in respect of a claim under section 459 of the Companies Act 1985.