Jonathan Davey QC
Call: 2003 QC: 2016
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Jonathan is greatly experienced in the commercial sphere. This is based both on his commercial dispute practice at the Bar and his time in business in the UK, continental Europe and the USA prior to coming to the Bar.
Jonathan took silk in 2016, before which he was shortlisted for “Chancery Junior of the Year” at the Chambers Bar Awards 2015 on the basis of his exceptional commercial chancery work.
Jonathan’s commercial practice is broad. This reflects his “impressive breadth of his expertise” (Chambers & Partners) and the fact that he is recommended in the legal directories across a range of fields (including real estate; private client / tax; private wealth). Jonathan’s commercial practice embraces disputes involving partnerships, companies, joint venture agreements and high value property transactions. It also includes disputes involving rare artwork and other cultural items. Many of Jonathan’s commercial and business cases involve complex financial and/or tax issues.
Some representative cases include:
- A number of high value arbitrations concerning complex contractual disputes between well-known UK business entities [2015-2016]
- Ingenious and Others v HMRC : £1bn dispute regarding proper commercial and tax analysis to apply in respect of partnerships involved in the film and games industries (with Malcolm Gammie QC).
- Camden Market Holdings Inc v IBRC : Dispute concerning rights under complex security arrangements in respect of assets worth £400m (with Antony Zacaroli QC).
- Icebreaker and Others v HMRC  UKFTT 416 (TC): £400m dispute regarding proper commercial and tax treatment of limited liability partnerships involved in the creative industries.
- Century Projects Limited v Almacantar (Centre Point) Limited  EWHC 394 (Ch): High value commercial property dispute in respect of rights relating to iconic central London property, Centre Point Tower on New Oxford Street (with Jonathan Gaunt QC).
- Secretary of State for Justice v Topland Group and others : £25m commercial fraud dispute in respect of a transaction involving substantial central London business premises (with Simon Browne- Wilkinson QC and Philip Brook-Smith QC).
- Acting for the defendants in Cayman-based Re Jahre litigation involving claims for US$250m alleged to belong to Norwegian shipping tycoon (with Camilla Bingham).
- Re Mazarelli – High-value international dispute concerning rights of ownership in respect of allegedly stolen medieval Italian literature and artwork.