Jonathan Davey QC
Call: 2003 QC: 2016
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Jonathan is highly experienced across the fields of trusts, tax, probate and estates.
He is recommended in Chambers & Partners as a leading private client / personal tax practitioner who is involved in “numerous high value private client matters” and is praised for his ability to “handle complex litigation matters with aplomb”.
He is recommended in The Legal 500 as a “key figure” who has considerable experience of large scale and high value litigation in the area.
Jonathan is currently involved in two of the largest, most complex and highest profile pieces of tax litigation ever to be dealt with by the UK courts. The Ingenious and Icebreaker proceedings, both of which involving financial structures related to the creative industries, are regularly the national press, the latter under the headline “Taxman vs Take That”.
Jonathan is also recommended in Chambers Global in the field of private wealth.
Some representative cases include:
- Charity Commission v Mounstar and others  EWHC 876 (Ch): Dispute in respect of charity involved in £45m tax avoidance scheme.
- Ingenious and Others v HMRC : £1bn dispute regarding proper commercial and tax analysis to apply in respect of partnerships involved in the film and games industries (with Malcolm Gammie QC).
- Freedman v Freedman  EWHC 1457 (Ch): Dispute in respect of doctrine of equitable mistake in relation to tax planning and family trust.
- Icebreaker and Others v HMRC  UKFTT 416 (TC): £400m dispute regarding proper commercial and tax treatment of limited liability partnerships involved in the creative industries.
- Hanson v HMRC  UKUT 224 (TCC): Inheritance tax dispute in respect of proper analysis to apply in relation to rural estate.
- Atkinson v HMRC  UKUT 506 (TCC): Inheritance tax dispute in respect of agricultural property relief.
- Acting for trust protector in multi-party breach of trust claim in respect of Gibraltar based trusts (with Christopher Nugee QC).