Jonathan Seitler QC
Call: 1985 QC: 2003
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonathan is involved in the most high-profile property litigation cases. In 2014 he has continued to act for a Saudi Princess at the centre of allegations of property fraud, an Eastern-European oligarch purchasing landmark properties in London, a celebrity chef who says he is not the signatory of a lease guarantee of a well-known restaurant premises and a foreign Head of State in dispute with one of London’s great landed estates.
Jonathan is highly recommended in the legal directories: Chambers & Partners says he is an ‘impressive courtroom advocate’, with ‘extreme cleverness and creativity’. Jonathan was named as Chambers & Partners Real Estate Silk of the Year in 2007 and (unprecedentedly) for a second time in 2010.
In 2014, he was prominent in Chambers & Partners Top 100 Barristers (across all fields) and described as “absolutely superb” and “a master tactician”. Jonathan is also the author of several books: ‘Claims against solicitors and valuers’, ‘Commercial Dispute Resolution’ and the bestselling ‘Leases: Covenants and consents’.
Reported cases over the last couple of years include:
- Twin Benefits v Barker  EWHC 177 (Ch)
- Clutterbuck v Cleghorn  EWCA Civ 137
- Timothy Taylor Ltd v Mayfair House Corp  EWHC 1075 (Ch)
- Mortgage Agency Services Number One Ltd v Cripps Harries LLP  EWHC 2483 (Ch)
- Francis v Philips & ors 
- Shebelle Enterprises Ltd v Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust Ltd  2 P. & C.R. 6 CA Breach of lease arising from basement extension of neighbouring property, estate management schemes, interim injunctions; trustees’ powers and duties.
- Fulham Broadway Trustees No.1 Ltd v Telefonica UK Ltd  EWHC 1048. Appeal of arbitrator’s rent review award.
- Peel Land and Property (Ports No.3) Ltd v TS Sheerness Steel Ltd  2 P. & C.R. DG5 CA definition of Tenant’s Fixtures.
- Century Projects Ltd v Almacantar (Centre Point) Ltd  EWHC 394 (Ch) (Injunction, tenant’s rights).
- Topland Portfolio No.1 Ltd v Smiths News Trading Ltd  1 P. & C.R. 17 (release of lease guarantor).
- PGF II SA v OMFS Co 1 Ltd  1 W.L.R. 1386 (Costs in dilapidations case following upon ignoring an invitation to mediate).
- Cussens v Realreed Ltd  1 W.L.R. 275 (Breach of covenant and forfeiture on basis of immoral use).
- Morshead Mansions Ltd v Mactra Properties Ltd  EWHC 224 (Ch) (Service charge accounts).
- Phillips v Francis  1 W.L.R. 2343 (Service charge computation).
- E.ON UK Plc v Gilesports Ltd  1 P. & C.R. 4 (Consent to assignment, licences and underleases).
- Unique Pub Properties Ltd v Broad Green Tavern Ltd  2 P. & C.R. 17 (implied terms in leases).
- Scottish Widows Fund and Life Assurance Society v BGC International (formerly Cantor Fitzgerald International) 2012 142 Con. L.R. 27 CA (Mistakes in, and rectification of, leases).
- Re: North East Property Buyers Litigation  1 W.L.R. 1521 CA (Contract terms, equitable interests arising in context of equity release schemes).
- Quest Advisors Ltd v McFeely  1 E.G. 54 CA (repudiation of leases);
- K/S Victoria Street v House of Fraser (Stores Management) Ltd  2 W.L.R. 470(Assignment and Authorised guarantee agreements).
- Nottinghamshire and City of Nottingham Fire Authority v Gladman Commercial Properties Ltd  1 W.L.R. 3235 (Property agents’ misrepresentation).
- Standard Life Investments Property Holdings Ltd v W&J Linney Ltd  L. & T.R. 9 (break clauses).