+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
A substantial part of Joseph’s practice consists of regulatory and non-regulatory pensions work.
In regulatory matters, Joseph acts both for the Regulator and for other Directly Affected Parties. Recent instructions include:
- appearing (as sole counsel) in the Upper Tribunal on behalf of the Regulator, in relation to the appointment of an independent trustee of a pension scheme; and
- acting (as part of a team of counsel) for the Sponsoring Employer in relation to a pension scheme’s triennial valuation.
He has also been instructed to act as legal clerk to the Regulator’s Determinations Panel.
Joseph’s non-regulatory experience includes:
- giving advice as to the benefits due under a pension scheme, which included advice as to Guaranteed Minimum Pension and the anti-franking legislation; and
- (as a pupil) assisting with advice on a variety of matters, including amendment of scheme rules, equalisation of benefits, incidence of the PPF levy, and professional liability of advisors.
In the early part of 2017, Joseph spent several months on secondment with the Pensions Regulator. His work there included:
- assisting with the preparation of pleadings and evidence in a claim concerning a multi-million pound pensions liberation scam;
- advising on the regulation of employer-related investments and employer-related loans; and
- advising and drafting in connection with several cases before the Determinations Panel and the Upper Tribunal.