+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Julian is a property specialist. Property litigation is the focus of most of his work. He is widely recognised for his property work and has recently been described as “a standout property litigation junior” (Chambers & Partners, 2014). Julian’s work encompasses all aspects of property, real estate, and landlord and tenant litigation.
He also has a particular expertise in disputes arising from the development of land. In recent years Julian has acted for or against many of the leading national developers and institutional investors in cases arising from a wide variety of development contracts and leases. He appeared as junior counsel in the House of Lords in one of the most notable such cases of recent years, Chartbrook v Persimmon Homes Limited  1 AC 1101.
Notable recent cases include:
- Manchester Ship Canal Company Limited v United Utilities Plc  (Supreme Court, decision pending) – acting and appearing for the successful appellant sewerage undertaker in a dispute over the lawfulness of discharges of water and treated effluent into the Manchester Ship Canal (earlier decisions at  1 WLR 2570 and  EWHC 232 (Ch)).
- A T Promotions Limited v TP5  (trial forthcoming). Appearing for the claimant company in a claim to recover excess sums demanded by its landlord in respect of electricity supplied to industrial units.
- Blueco Limited v BWAT Retail Nominee (1) Limited  EWCA Civ 154. Appearing for the successful respondents both at trial and on appeal in a dispute over the interpretation of a pre-emptive right to acquire a share in the rental income from the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent.
- Avon Estates Limited v Evans  EWHC 1635 (Ch). Appearing at trial for the defendants in a substantial boundary dispute between two landowners in Warwickshire.
- Brompton Estates Management Limited v Vidas Properties Limited (Joseph Ackerman Third Party). Acting in multi-party proceedings seeking damages for conspiracy in relation to alterations to a property so as to enhance the likelihood of enfranchisement of the freehold.
- Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited v The Royal Mail  (High Court, TCC). Acting for the claimant in a substantial dilapidations claim on an office building in Birmingham.
- Barclays Bank Plc v Guy (No 2)  1 WLR 681 (CA). Appearing for the respondent bank on an application to re-open an appeal in relation to an alleged mistake on the land register.
- Clarence House Limited v National Westminster Bank Plc  1 WLR 1216 (CA). Appearing for the successful appellant bank in the leading case on the effect of a “virtual assignment” of a lease.
- Unique Pub Properties Limited v Forest Hill Tavern  EWHC 2368 (Ch). Appearing for the defendant tenants of a tied public house in an appeal concerning the interpretation of the beer-tie provisions in their lease.
- Chartbrook Limited v Persimmon Homes Limited  1 AC 1101 (House of Lords). Appearing for the successful appellants a dispute over the interpretation of the overage provisions in a development agreement. This case was recently voted one of the fifteen most important cases decided in the last 150 years (read more)
- Bank of Scotland v Hussain  EWHC 1669 (Ch). Appearing for the successful appellant on an appeal concerning an overriding interest in land under s70(1)(g) of the Law of Property Act 1925.