Lexa Hilliard QC
Call: 1987 QC: 2009
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
“An exceptional advocate with great skill at cross-examination.“
“Her ability to get up to speed very quickly is very, very impressive.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Incisive, highly intelligent, practical and endlessly enthusiastic.” The Legal 500 2016
Her practice covers a wide range of commercial and company litigation. Her company work includes shareholders’ rights, directors’ duties and the construction of corporate instruments.
A seasoned trial advocate, she has extensive experience of pre-trial interim applications including freezing orders and other injunctions. She has particular expertise in relation to disputes with an insolvency dimension, many of which are international and involve complex cross-border issues.
Representative cases include:
- A v B  EWHC 596 (Comm) application pursuant to s.68 Arbitration Act 1996 to challenge a partial award on grounds of serious irregularity.
- McTear v Engelhard & Ors  EWCA Civ 487 acting for successful appellants overturning judgment below as a mistrial.
- Lime Petroleum Plc ORD 16/001 Isle of Man, acting for the successful company and targeted directors in the first reported case under s.175 of the Isle of Man Companies Act 2006 in a hard fought application by a minority shareholder to bring a derivative action against the directors.
- Re Guernsey Cell Company: (2016) advising on the construction of various investment advisory and management agreements in a dispute between a Guernsey fund and its managers and advisors.
- Fennell v Halliwells LLP  EWHC 2744 (Ch): instructed on behalf of the LLP in connection with a claim concerning the construction of a retirement deed and drawings on account of profits.
- Blue Monkey Gaming Ltd v Hudson  EWHC (Ch) 166: instructed on behalf of successful administrators in a trial involving the extent of an administrator’s duties to suppliers of goods on retention of title terms and involving issues of restitutionary damages.
- Bannai v Erez  EWHC 3204 (Comm): instructed on behalf of Israeli trustee in bankruptcy in connection with an application for an anti-suit injunction against the trustee who was pursuing claims in Israel in breach of arbitration agreement.
- Ondhia v Ondhia  EWHC 3040 (Ch);  EWCA Civ 1927: instructed on behalf of defendant in claim concerning the construction of a settlement agreement of a substantial dispute involving a number of pharmacy businesses.
- Re Emergent Capital Limited (2011): instructed on behalf of an Australian shareholder in connection with a complex shareholder dispute in a Cayman Islands company owning a substantial waste disposal business in Australia and assets in the Gulf.