Lexa Hilliard QC
Call: 1987 QC: 2009
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
“She has that ability to think about points that others wouldn’t.” Chambers & Partners 2018
“Experienced shoulders and very good with clients.” Legal 500 2018
“An exceptional advocate with great skill at cross examination.“
“Her ability to get up to speed very quickly is very, very impressive.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Incisive, highly intelligent, practical and endlessly enthusiastic.” Legal 500 2016
Her practice covers a wide range of commercial and company litigation. Her company work includes shareholders’ rights, directors’ duties and the construction of corporate instruments.
A seasoned trial advocate, she has extensive experience of pre-trial interim applications including freezing orders and other injunctions. She has particular expertise in relation to disputes with an insolvency dimension, many of which are international and involve complex cross-border issues.
Representative cases include:
- Re Safeguard Management Corp FSD 104 of 2017: appearing before the Grand Court, Cayman Islands on an application under s.4 of the Confidential Information Disclosure Law made pursuant to a disclosure order made by an LCIA arbitral tribunal.
- Re Enforcement of Judgment (2017) advising on the enforcement of a substantial judgment in the Cayman Islands.
- Phoenix Group v Cochrane  EWHC 418 (Comm) whether freezing injunction over client accounts should be continued.
- A v B  EWHC 596 (Comm) application pursuant to s.68 Arbitration Act 1996 to challenge a partial award on grounds of serious irregularity.
- McTear v Engelhard & Ors  EWCA Civ 487 acting for successful appellants overturning judgment below as a mistrial.
- Lime Petroleum Plc ORD 16/001 Isle of Man, acting for the successful company and targeted directors in the first reported case under s.175 of the Isle of Man Companies Act 2006 in a hard-fought application by a minority shareholder to bring a derivative action against the directors.
- Re Guernsey Cell Company: (2016) advising on the construction of various investment advisory and management agreements in a dispute between a Guernsey fund and its managers and advisors.
- Fennell v Halliwells LLP  EWHC 2744 (Ch): instructed on behalf of the LLP in connection with a claim concerning the construction of a retirement deed and drawings on account of profits.
- Blue Monkey Gaming Ltd v Hudson  EWHC (Ch) 166: instructed on behalf of successful administrators in a trial involving the extent of an administrator’s duties
to suppliers of goods on retention of title terms and involving issues of restitutionary damages.
- Bannai v Erez  EWHC 3204 (Comm): instructed on behalf of Israeli trustee in bankruptcy in connection with an application for an anti-suit injunction against the trustee who was pursuing claims in Israel in breach of arbitration agreement.
- Ondhia v Ondhia  EWHC 3040 (Ch);  EWCA Civ 1927: instructed on behalf of defendant in claim concerning the construction of a settlement agreement of a substantial dispute involving a number of pharmacy businesses.
- Re Emergent Capital Limited (2011): instructed on behalf of an Australian shareholder in connection with a complex shareholder dispute in a Cayman Islands company owning a substantial waste disposal business in Australia and assets in the Gulf.