+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Sebastian has particular interest and experience in professional liability litigation.
The breadth of Sebastian’s commercial and chancery practice means that he is comfortable with issues of professional liability arising in a wide variety of contexts including in relation to professionals such as trustees of pension schemes, company directors, financial advisers, insurance brokers, executors and legal advisers.
Notable matters on which Sebastian has been instructed include:
- Madoff litigation. Acting on several pieces of litigation arising out of the massive international fraud perpetrated by Bernard Madoff through the largest ever Ponzi scheme in which investors lost almost $65bn. This has included acting on behalf of investment fund managers in a claim brought against them by individual investors for having invested and lost the entirety of the sums in fund in Madoff’s Ponzi scheme and on behalf of the private individual, Mrs Sonja Kohn, in defending claims worth US $19bn that have been brought by the trustee in the US liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (with Terence Mowschenson QC).
- Langstone Leisure Limited -v- Willers. Acting for a company against its former managing director in a claim based on breaches of fiduciary duty and negligence in relation to the costs incurred by the company in funding litigation brought by the liquidator of a debtor company (with Terence Mowschenson QC).
- Maxfield -v- (i) HLB Kidsons and (ii) Baker Tilly. Acting for an individual pursuing a multimillion pound negligence claim against accountants/tax advisers in relation to deficient tax advice and a failure to disclose “secret commission” (with James Ayliffe QC).
- Advising in relation to potential proceedings against an insurance broker for negligent insurance advice.
- Advising in relation to a company’s claim against a former director based in the Isle of Man for negligence and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Advising on claims against professional pension trustees for unauthorised investments.
- Advising a beneficiary under a will in relation to potential claims against administrators of an estate for incurring unnecessary (lc) capital gains tax for the estate.
- Advising a beneficial owner of a property in relation to potential claims against his solicitors for negligent advice.