+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Sebastian has significant experience of trust-related matters both offshore and onshore.
He regularly advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
He has applied his knowledge of trust law and fiduciary obligations in a variety of contexts, in particular commercial disputes and corporate transactions.
Notable matters that Sebastian has worked on include the following:
- Lord Lloyd-Webber and the Andrew Lloyd Webber Art Foundation -v- HMRC. Representing HMRC on a case that concerned the tax positions of the claimants in the context of their entitlement to Gift Aid Relief which involved issues of the valuation of licences for works of art of substantial value.
- Acting in respect of a high-profile estate and advising in relation to a claim for rectification of a will under S 20 of the Administration of Justice Act 1982 (with Shân Warnock-Smith QC).
- Advising on international aspects of estates, including where property bequeathed under a will is located outside the jurisdiction and where there are competing wills in different jurisdictions.
- Acting and advising in respect of cases under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Advising in respect of the beneficial ownership of shares in a company listed on the London Stock Exchange belonging to a Belgium national who died intestate where all the relevant documents were in French.
- Placement with a firm of solicitors in order to assist with the complex administration of a particular high-value estate.
- Advising in relation to the construction of wills, the validity of wills, the potential claims against the administrators of an estate and the appropriate steps to take in the administration of estates.
- Advising a beneficiary under a will in relation to the ability to require the administrators of an estate to make a distribution under the terms of the will and in relation to any potential claims against the administrators for incurring unnecessary (lc) capital gains tax for the estate.
- Advising in relation to solicitors’ conflicts of interest in acting for more than one beneficiary under a will.