+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Tom has a growing body of experience of pensions law.
Illustrative cases include:
- Acting (with Robert Ham QC) for the trustees of the Docklands Light Railway Pensions Scheme in an ongoing funding dispute with the scheme’s current participating employer, Serco Limited. The case concerns the interpretation of a ‘contribution rule’, and the validity of previous demands for contributions raises the question of whether the statutory regime for the repair funding deficits should take precedence over provisions contained in a scheme’s rules.
- Advising The Pensions Regulator and drafting Warning Notices in relation to suspected pensions liberation and fraud, and appearing on behalf of The Pensions Regulator on an urgent application to replace pension trustees.
- Advising a group of former employees of British Airways and members of the Airways Pensions Scheme in relation to ongoing dispute with British Airways as to whether their pensions should be increased at the RPI or CPI measure of inflation (with Paul Newman QC).
- Acting on a pension trustee’s application for the court’s approval of the terms of a settlement agreement with the providers of spread-betting services who had offset losses and gains between beneficiary clients’ SIPP and personal trading accounts.
- Advising a pensioner as to the way in which annual increases to his pension should be calculated.
- Advising a company as to whether the transfer of its pension scheme liabilities to a newco would be susceptible to challenge by The Pensions Regulator under its moral hazard powers.