ALAN GOURGEY QC
Call: 1984 QC: 2003
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
“A popular silk known for his intellectual agility and strong advocacy skills”, Alan has long been recommended in the legal directories for commercial dispute resolution as well as commercial chancery work. He is also recommended in the related areas of civil fraud and information technology disputes. He has a “formidable reputation”; his experience covering a very wide variety of areas such as joint venture and shareholder disputes, claims involving banks and other financial institutions, contractual disagreements and complex commercial litigation generally. Clients praise the fact that he is “highly intelligent and analytical”, He is “someone who is on top of their game”.
His recent experience includes:
- Gazprom v Nafogaz: Acting for Gazprom in two SCC arbitrations relating to gas pricing and transit disputes. Awards delivered in December 2017 and February 2018 in these multi billion dollar disputes
- Joint venture dispute over the development of oil and gas field in the Middle East – dispute concerns governance, investment and earn out issues..
- Libyan Investment Authority v JP Morgan & Ors  EWHC 1452 (Comm): Acting for Libyan businessman accused of fraud and corruption in relation to $200m investment. Claim dismissed on grounds of lack of jurisdiction and limitation.
- Acting for state gas company in the Middle East in gas dispute concerning long term supply contract with claims circa $5bn. ICC arbitration concluded March 2020
- Acting for claimant in linked LCI arbitrations concerning Joint venture dispute in relation to the exploration and development of a gas field in CIS region. Concluded late 2019.
- VTB Bank v Antipinsky: Acting on behalf of Russian Bank in Commercial Court proceedings, in support of LCIA arbitrations, where freezing orders and mandatory injunctions granted.
- JSC Bank of Moscow v Kekhman  EWHC 791 (Comm): acting for bank in successful claims for over $150m in respect of deceit and unlawful dissipation of assets. Claims brought under article 1064 of Russian Civil Code.
- IPCO (Nigeria) Limited v Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation: acting for claimant seeking to resist an arbitration award for US$152m plus interest being set aside on the grounds that it was allegedly procured by fraud. Action settled at trial early 2018.
- Roussev: acting for party in various ongoing proceedings in Nevis and St Vincent relating to trust and contract disputes.
- Munroe v Bank of Scotland: acting for claimant in ongoing proceedings advancing swaps and LIBOR claims. .
- Gerald Metals SA v Timis  EWHC 1375 (Comm): acting for claimant in securing and the resisting the discharge of a freezing order in support of unlawful means conspiracy claim for circa $75m.
- A v B: acting for claimant in a series of LCIA arbitrations concerning joint venture disputes.
- Interactive Technology Corporation v Ferster  EWHC 2896 (Ch): claim for breaches of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of assets and other wrong doing in respect of operation of an online gaming business. Together with an unfair prejudice position.