+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna has particular experience of cases involving allegations of fraud and asset preservation/disclosure (including relating to offshore trusts structures). She is recognised in Chambers & Partners (2019 edition) as a “talented junior … who shines in civil fraud and insolvency work”.
She often acts on high value, document-heavy cases with international elements involving significant disclosure exercises and related interim applications.
Anna has particular experience, both acting as junior to leading counsel and as sole counsel, in obtaining and resisting various forms of interim relief, including:
- Norwich Pharmacal/third party disclosure orders
- Freezing and ancillary disclosure orders
- Search orders (including against third parties)
- Summary judgment/strike out applications
- Committal proceedings brought on the basis of allegations of contempt of court
- Challenges to jurisdiction
She has extensive experience in acting in large-scale and long running commercial fraud cases, including acting for the claimant bank in the high profile Ablyazov litigation: multi-billion dollar claims in the Chancery Division and Commercial Court by a Kazakh bank against its former chairman for misappropriation of funds, involving multiple freezing, search and ancillary orders.
She has recently acted for the liquidators of the Weavering Macro Fixed Income Fund Limited in their claim in the Grand Court in Cayman against the former auditors of a Cayman hedge fund which collapsed in 2009 following a major fraud by its founder.
She is currently acting for one of the defendants in the Libyan Investment Authority v JP Morgan and ors litigation – claims brought by the sovereign wealth fund alleging corruption in relation to transactions that it entered into during the era of the Gaddafi regime in Libya.
Further examples of her recent civil fraud work include:
- acting as sole counsel for a technology company in its claim against its former finance officer for the fraudulent misappropriation of funds. Anna successfully obtained freezing and disclosure orders against the defendant and the case settled before trial
- acting as sole counsel for an individual defrauded through a bogus wine investment scheme and successfully obtaining freezing and disclosure orders
- acting in committal proceedings brought on the basis of allegations of contempt of court for failing to comply with an order for disclosure of information/assets
- acting to resist the appointment of a receiver in proceedings in which freezing relief had been granted
- acting as sole counsel in a claim by a shareholder alleging deceit in relation to their investment in a private company
- acting for a defendant to a fraud claim in challenging the jurisdiction of the English court