+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Edward has been involved in many contentious and non-contentious cases involving trusts, probate and succession, both domestic and offshore. He has had particular experience in recent years of domestic trusts litigation and advisory work, while also working on heavy offshore trusts litigation. He has acted on behalf of trustees and beneficiaries and for and against professional advisers acting for the trust. Edward aims to provide practical client-focused solutions and, where litigation is necessary, a strategic and proportionate approach.
Recent cases include:
- Caldicott v Richards  EWHC 767 (Ch) – claim for setting aside a self-dealing transaction by a trustee and for removal of trustees.
- A v B (confidential) – working on long-running trust litigation and appeal in Hong Kong concerning c£800m of assets. Issues raised include constructive trusts, sham gifts, undue influence, breach of fiduciary duty and challenge to validity of will.
- Re X Fund – acting for a representative beneficiary in a Court-approved compromise of trust proceedings in which a £30m campaign fund was transferred to a newly-created charity.
- Defending former trustees (and their insurers) in proceedings for breach of trust for failing to collect a debt owed to the trust.
- Advising trustees of UK trust on incidence of expenditure between capital and income.
- Acting for ex-partner in TLATA 1996 proceedings concerning ownership of leasehold property.
- Assisting with preparation of evidence about ownership of discretionary trust assets for US arbitral proceedings.
- Advising beneficiary on claim against trust’s solicitors for failing to protect her interests under the trust.