+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Iain has a very deep and wide-ranging experience of both corporate and personal insolvency work, including both advisory work and acting for office-holders, creditors and directors in litigation. His experience includes:
- Transactions at an undervalue and preferences;
- Wrongful trading;
- Claims against office-holders, including misfeasance and negligence;
- Applying for the appointment of provisional liquidators; and
- Directors’ disqualification
He regularly lectures on insolvency and restructuring topics, and is the author of two chapters in the leading textbook Commercial Litigation: Pre-Emptive Remedies (the first on provisional liquidators, the second on injunctions in insolvency proceedings).
Recent cases where Iain has been instructed include:
- In the Matter of Joseph Ackerman: Iain successfully obtained a bankruptcy order against the debtor, at both first instance (2016) and on appeal (2017).
- William Old Creditors Action Ltd v Bramston (as Liquidator of Willian Old International Ltd)  EWHC 1886 (Ch) – Iain acted for the creditors’ committee on a challenge to the fees charged by a liquidator.
- Brister v Official Receiver  BPIR 1008: Iain successfully obtained an annulment of a bankruptcy order. This is now a leading case on the Insolvency Act 1986, s. 282 and persons with a disability.
- In the matter of Astra Resources plc  EWHC 1830 (Ch): Iain acted for the respondent company on an application to restrain presentation of a winding up petition, where issues of rectification of the underlying agreement between the respondent and the petitioner were in issue.
- Brister v Official Receiver  BPIR 1008 – a case on annulment of a bankruptcy order which also raised various capacity issues. Iain acted for the successful applicant.
- Astra Resources plc, Re  EWHC 1830 (Ch) – winding up petitions, injunctions restraining the presentation of, and collateral use of a winding up petition.
- Webster v Mackay  BPIR 1136: acted for the appellant in this appeal against the Chief Registrar’s refusal to annul a bankruptcy order. The case raised some difficult issues under the Insolvency Act 1986 about the jurisdiction to grant an annulment.