James Bailey QC
Call: 1999 QC: 2019
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Described as “technically astute, a very strong advocate and an excellent team player” (Chambers UK Bar 2020), James has been instructed in high-profile insolvency and restructuring work including Enron (Cayman Islands), Comet and the London Underground Public-Private Partnership.
“He is incredibly impressive and very responsive – he knows his stuff and is a real specialist in this area.” (Chambers UK Bar, 2020)
“He reads the tribunal well and gets on the right side of the Registrar.” (The Legal 500, 2020)
- In 2018, James acted for a consortium led by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll in the successful acquisition of the Force India Formula 1 motor racing team from Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya. The transaction was exceptionally complex and involved a structure never previously used in Formula 1.
- James acted for the successful petitioning creditor in the matter of Re Paul Baxendale-Walker (a bankrupt), a notorious piece of litigation arising out of negligent advice given by a former tax barrister and solicitor. Unusually the case concerned the appointment of an interim receiver, and thereafter the successful appointment of specifically named trustees in bankruptcy upon the making of a bankruptcy order (reported at  B.P.I.R. 1243).
- James is instructed by office holders, creditors and debtors alike which gives rise to a broad range of work, including the challenging of the inappropriate use of the insolvency regime. Examples include the abuse of the IVA procedure in the Miss World litigation.
- By way of sub-specialism, James’s insolvency practice includes matrimonial insolvency. He has been instructed in various high value divorces and acted for the wife against her purportedly bankrupt husband in the “quite extraordinary” Young v Young litigation.
- James was instructed as an English law expert in proceedings before the Supreme Court of South Korea on a cross-border insolvency aspect pertaining to the “rehabilitation” (administration) of the Samsun Logix Corporation.