JIA WEI LEE
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Jia Wei taught and examined undergraduate courses in trusts law at the University of Cambridge and University College London. He is currently developing a wide trusts and probate practice. He is also a contributor to the chapter on professional trusteeship in the Professional Negligence and Liability (Simpson ed.)
His recent experience includes:
- Advising the trustees of a large offshore trust in relation to potential claims in mistake, misrepresentation and under the Re Hastings-Bass jurisdiction arising out of historic dispositions made to the guardian of various beneficiaries.
- Acting for a court-appointed deputy in confidential Court of Protection proceedings relating to the management, investigation and disposition of a protected person’s assets.
- Acting in relation to consequential matters arising out of a multi-million pound divorce award made against the client. Advised on trust-related aspects of the proceedings.
- Advising the trustees of a multi-million dollar Guernsey settlement as to any claims in restitution, misrepresentation, breach of trust or mistake that may lie against the beneficiary’s guardian.
- Advising and drafting a counterclaim in professional negligence proceedings arising out of the Royal Court’s refusal in 2018 to reconstitute a sizeable trust fund notwithstanding a finding that the trustees had acted in breach of trust.
- Assisting in the preparation of an expert’s opinion regarding a discretionary beneficiary’s locus standi in the context an investment-treaty arbitration.
- Advising the trustees of a trust over land, settled for the benefit of a rugby club, as to the impact on such trust of the dissolution of the rugby club, and its subsequent reconstitution as a limited company.