Joanne Wicks QC
Call: 1990 QC: 2010
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Almost all of Joanne’s work is, in the broadest sense, commercial, involving business clients engaged in resolving disputes about commercial issues. The focus is always on achieving corporate goals, whether through litigation, alternative dispute resolution or transactional advice.
Joanne advises on and acts for clients in relation to litigation about commercial contracts, joint ventures and other business structures and issues arising out of the acquisition or disposal of corporate interests. Her chancery expertise and property specialism enable her to advise on banking and financial transactions and act in related disputes, particularly those concerning property finance, mortgages and guarantees.
Joanne’s business and commercial practice includes:
- Asset tracing
- Banking and finance
- Civil fraud
- Commercial arbitration
- Joint venture and partnership disputes
Recent/notable cases include:
- Acting for Canary Wharf Group in successfully resisting the claim by the European Medicines Agency that the Agency’s 25-year lease of premises in Canary Wharf will be frustrated when the UK leaves the EU (Canary Wharf (BP4) T1 Ltd v European Medicines Agency  EWHC 335 (Ch)).
- A claim for breach of warranty in respect of a sale of mortgage assets as part of a securitisation (Lehman Commercial Mortgage Conduit Ltd v Northern Rock (Asset Management) Plc).
- Acting in a series of adjudications between a PFI contractor and its subcontractor in relation to disrepair claims totalling more than £10m in respect of a portfolio of 300+ properties occupied by government departments.
- Advising a company on its potential liability to a prospective joint venture partner once the relationship soured.
- Advising on the effect on creditors of conversions of limited companies to industrial and provident societies/co-operative and community benefit societies and transfers of engagements between those entities.