John Wardell QC
Call: 1979 QC: 2002
+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
John has conducted arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL Rules in Geneva, London, Paris, Singapore, Vienna and Warsaw. Most of his cases are document heavy and involve analysis of complex contracts.
Recent and ongoing cases include:
- Acting on a claim for breach of a performance guarantee relating to multiple contracts for the supply of natural gas and mazut (a heavy low quality fuel oil) This involves consideration of multiple contracts between numerous parties dating back 20 years.
- Acting for an oil company seeking to recover substantial compensation for the fraudulent supply of cargoes of oil to Romania.
- Acting for the applicant in an international arbitration in Vienna who successfully sought substantial compensation for breach of a share purchase agreement relating to the acquisition of a controlling interest in a steel plant in Macedonia. This required an in-depth analysis of the Macedonian privatisation laws and the contracts that were generated following their enactment.
- Acting in an international arbitration in Paris where the claimant sought multi-million pound compensation for breach of a joint venture relating to the provision of mining services for a bauxite mine in Saudi Arabia
- Acting in an international arbitration in Warsaw arising out of a joint venture for the construction of the A4 motorway in Poland.
- Acting for the former head of an investment bank who was seeking approximately £30m by way of reasonable remuneration for his services.
In addition, as part of his commercial litigation practice, John has been involved in heavy contractual disputes relating to oil interests in Kazakhstan, gold mines in Azerbaijan and an oil and gas conglomerate in Ukraine.