Jonathan Hilliard QC
Call: 2003 QC: 2016
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
According to The Legal 500 2019, Jonathan is “a true star that is rising at a meteoric rate”, and Chambers and Partners states that he is “widely regarded as the go-to barrister for technical pensions issues”. Jonathan advises regularly on pensions restructuring, other corporate pensions issues, moral hazard concerns, RPI and CPI issues and other similar points. He regularly acts in rectification claims and in the compromises of complex pensions disputes.
Over the last few years, his cases have involved the following:
- Dealing with a number of benefit validity cases (2020- ongoing).
- Dealing with a number of important regulatory matters (2020- ongoing).
- Defending a large professional negligence claim in relation to alleged defects in scheme documentation (2020- ongoing).
- British Airways (2018-2020)- acted successfully in Beddoe and compromise hearings, following involvement in the main litigation for many years.
- BT judicial review litigation (2018-2019)- acted at first instance and in the Court of Appeal for the trustee in relation to the judicial review of HMT’s decision relating to the indexation of GMPs following the change to the new state pension.
- Box Clever [2011 – 2018] acted for the scheme trustee in this long running litigation.
- Pensions Regulator v PAYAE & others (2018) – successfully acted for tPR in landmark pensions liberation fraud case.
- Wedgwood v Salt - 5 day hearing on whether a rights proviso protects future service rights and consequential issues.
- IBM - acted successfully for IBM in its appeal over the validity of closing its pension schemes to future accrual.
- Silentnight [2016-]- acted successfully for the trustee in resisting a judicial review application (decided early 2017)
- Pollock v Reed (2016)- acted for tPR in a series of hearings over a pension restructuring.
- MNRPF (2014/5)- acted for Stena Line in dispute over broadening the pool of contributing employers, culminating in a 20 day final hearing.
- Becker v Fellowes v TPR  Acted in relation to a number of pension liberations issue.
- Bestrustees v Singer & Friedlander - calculation of s.75 debt.
- Pi Consulting v TPR and Dalriada v TPR  Acted in a number of hearings concerning pensions liberation.
- MNRPF (2010) First instance and CA in 2010/11 proceedings.
- BT Pension Scheme Trustees  (first instance, CA, including a number of unled hearings).
- FSS Pension Scheme  Crown Guarantee issues.
- Storm Funding  First instance and CA; appeal listed for 10.2014.
- Lehman FSD  DP and UT.
- Nortel & Lehman v tPR insolvency proceedings [2010-2013] first instance, CA and SC)
- Nortel v tPR  (s.72 PA 2004 dispute.
- Pilots National Pension Fund [2009-2014].
- ITS v Hope .
- ITS v GP Noble [2009-2013].
- Sea Containers v Gellately .
- Low v Bonar .
- Bridge Trustees v Yates [2010-2011]; CA, SC.
- Bonas CN .
- Nortel FSD .