PAUL NEWMAN QC
Call: 1991 QC: 2009
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Trusts, Tax, Probate & Estates
Paul has considerable experience acting in Private and Commercial Trust matters. His experience in this area dates back to his early years in practice working on cases relating to Lloyds Names’ Premium Trust Deeds. Paul’s expertise includes advising and acting on trust matters, both in the UK and overseas, particularly Jersey and the Caribbean, involving disputes concerning the role of protectors, claims by beneficiaries and the role and duties of trustees.
Notable/recent cases include:
- Acting for a very high profile overseas-resident businessman in connection with a dispute relating to several family trusts.
- Acting for one of the professional trustees in the long-running litigation involving the Blenkinsopp estate in Northumberland: Howell v Lees-Millais.
- Acting in the heavily-contested trust litigation involving proceedings in Switzerland, Liechtenstein and the UK worth over £75 million, which led to a Court of Appeal decision on an important point of procedure: Labrouche v Frey  1 WLR 3160. The case went to trial in 2015.
- Acting for the life tenant of a £15m settlement in a breach of trust claim brought against the trustees.
- Representing corporate defendants in a £400m intellectual property/breach of confidence claim, in which proprietary interests are claimed over the corporate defendants’ property.
- Acting for the estate of the settlor of a trust of the proceeds of a life assurance policy worth £5m, in a dispute over the distribution of the policy proceeds.
- Advising a Jersey trustee company on various issues raised by a disgruntled beneficiary of a sizable discretionary trust.