+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Thomas practises a range of commercial litigation and advisory work, including disputes regarding pension schemes, telecoms and information technology litigation, and other contractual disputes. Thomas has been involved in mediations both as junior and sole counsel.
Notable cases include:
- Bellmare Holding Ltd v Wells  EWHC 703 (Ch): Application challenging jurisdiction under Article 5(3) of Lugano Convention. Acted at first instance and on appeal (judgment awaited)
- Courtwood Holdings SA v Woodley Properties Ltd & Ors  EWHC 2163 (Ch): Three week multi-million pound knowing receipt trial in the Chancery Division. Sole Counsel for three of 12 Defendants.
- Munroe K Limited & Anor v Bank of Scotland plc  EWHC 3583 (Comm). Strike out raising limitation issues in context of claim for £50m damages for Libor manipulation and breach of duty in selling interest rate swaps.
- Barker v Winter  EWHC 1785. Quantification of damages for deceit. The case is now cited by McGregor on Damages as authority on calculating pecuniary loss in deceit cases.
- IMA v Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Turkey  EWHC 3285. High Court trial, defending allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation and inducing breach of contract.
- CMHC v Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (in Special Liquidation)  2 All ER (Comm) 781 (CA) and  EWHC 23109 Ch. Dispute over the implication of a term in a facility agreement not to hinder an exit strategy agreed between lender and borrower. Led by Alan Gourgey QC, instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
- A Technologies v B: acting for defendants in relation to contract for internet optimization software where defendants faced claims of circa $200m.
- Hamilton-Smith & Wastell v CMS Cameron McKenna LLP  EWHC 1115 (Ch). Anti-suit injunction in claim of professional negligence by insolvency practitioners against solicitors arising out of the liquidation of Stanford International Bank in Antigua. Instructed by Clyde & Co LLP.
- Courtwood Holdings SA v Woodley Properties Ltd & Ors  EWHC 1168 (Ch). Three day application to strike out arising out of proper construction of deed of assignment. Instructed by Isadore Goldman.
- Instructed by a major IT company in relation to multi-billion pound government contract. Led by Alan Gourgey QC.
- Instructed by House of Fraser in TCC proceedings against a major high street bank concerning the operation of House of Fraser’s customer store card IT systems. Led by Alan Gourgey QC, case settled.
- Instructed in adjudication of two multi-million pound contractual disputes arising out of major ongoing defence IT contract. Issues included rectification, the law of set-off and construction. Led by Alan Gourgey.