+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thomas practises a wide range of corporate and personal insolvency work. He is currently co-editing and contributing to a new edition of Kerr & Hunter on Receivers and Administrators. In corporate insolvency he acts for officeholders, creditors and companies. He advises on issues from the interpretation of CVAs to administration expenses to office-holder remuneration.
Notable cases include:
- Courtwood Holdings SA v Woodley Properties Ltd & Ors  EWHC 2163 (Ch): Three week multi-million pound knowing receipt trial in context of fixed charge receivership of property assets.
- Fieldfisher LLP v Pennyfeathers Limited  EWHC 566 (Ch). Successful resistance of administration application on basis that the alleged debt was subject to an arbitration clause, and thus Salford Estates (No.2) Ltd v Altomart Ltd  EWCA Civ 1575 applied by analogy.
- Hamilton-Smith v CMS Cameron McKenna LLP  EWHC 1115 (Ch). Anti-suit injunction relating to claims arising from the liquidation of Stanford International Bank in Antigua. Instructed by the former office-holders.
- Re Storm Funding (in administration)  Bus L R 454. Considered issues including the Parliamentary intention of the FSD regime and the insolvency rule against “double dipping”. Acted for the Pensions Regulator with Raquel Agnello QC and Jonathan Hilliard.
- Re Nortel GmbH and Others  AC 209,  UKSC 52,  EWCA Civ 1124 &  EWHC 3010. Successful resistance of application by administrators of Nortel and Lehman Brothers in the High Court for declaration that an FSD and CN issued under Pensions Act 2004 to insolvent companies did not give rise to any right to Briggs J. held they gave rise to administration expenses which was upheld by Court of Appeal in October 2011. In July 2013 the Supreme Court decided that FSDs give rise to provable debts. Listed by the Lawyer in their ‘Top 20 cases of 2012’.
- Re Calibre Solicitors Limited (in administration)  All ER (D) Consideration of proper construction of Insolvency Rule 2.109(1B).
- Napleton v Hewitt  EWHC 2778 (Ch). Successful resistance to challenge over CVA Supervisor’s treatment of proof of debt.
- Caldero Trading v Beppler & Jacobson Ltd  EWHC 4031 (Ch). Concerned extent of provisional liquidators’ powers to obtain documents under various court orders. Acted for provisional liquidators from BDO appointed over a UK company owning major Montenegro hotels.