IBM in a nutshell
Thursday 10 April 2014
5.15pm - 6.30pm followed by a drinks reception.
The Law Society, Chancery Lane, London,
IBM in a nutshell: Reasonable Expectations and the Employer’s duty of good faith
Wilberforce Chambers will be hosting a seminar consisting of four short talks on Thursday 10th April at The Law Society, Chancery Lane, London.
This is an opportunity to hear from those involved in the case and other members of Chambers on the practical implications for Pension Lawyers.
5.30pm Michael Tennet QC (Leading counsel for the members in IBM)
- Overview of the findings
- Why were the members successful ?
- How far-reaching is this ?
5.45pm Ben Faulkner (Junior counsel for the members in IBM)
- The legal content of the duty of good faith
- The role of members’ “Reasonable Expectations”
- Good faith in carrying out the consultation exercise
6.00pm Thomas Seymour
- Good faith and Non-Pensionability Agreements
6.15pm Edward Sawyer (Junior counsel for the Trustee in IBM):
- Closure by exclusion – the interpretation of the employer’s power to exclude
- The effect of fetters on the scheme’s amendment power
- Relevance of the Imperial duty to trustees.