Regulatory and disciplinary
Many of the sectors in which we operate are highly regulated, from financial services to pensions to audit and the provision of legal services. Members of Wilberforce have extensive experience of advising clients on issues of regulation and of acting on all sides of regulatory and disciplinary proceedings. Several of our barristers are also members of, or advisers to, regulatory tribunals. We understand the procedural complexities of this area of the law, as well as the substantive issues and the reputational risks involved.
Much of our work is kept confidential and we have experience of litigation seeking to ensure that regulatory proceedings remain confidential. Other work takes place in the public domain. Our members recently acted in the regulatory proceedings arising from the collapse of Carillion plc, Silentnight, BHS, Patisserie Valerie and the Abraaj Group in the UAE.
Over 30 of our barristers operate in this area, across all levels of call. They have acted for the following regulatory bodies, reflecting the breadth of Chambers’ expertise more generally:
- The Pensions Regulator
- The Financial Reporting Council
- The Financial Conduct Authority
- The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (regulating Insolvency Practitioners in this jurisdiction)
- The Dubai Financial Services Authority
- The Guernsey Financial Services Commission
- The Bank of England
- The Law Society
- The Football Association Premier League