JULIAN GREENHILL QC
Call: 1997 QC: 2018
+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Julian is a property, commercial and professional liability specialist. Often his cases straddle these different fields. Julian prides himself on handling often complex cases in an approachable and user-friendly manner. Persuasive advocacy, both oral and written, is central to Julian’s approach in every case. The core of Julian’s experience lies in commercial property litigation and commercial litigation where the subject or context of the dispute is property. This includes advice and litigation in the following core areas:
- Property development agreements including development funding agreements, option agreements, joint ventures, promotion agreements, and collaboration agreements. In 2018 Julian gave a Blundell Lecture on ‘Clauses That Catch: Agreements and Development’.
- Sale and purchase agreements including overage and clawback arrangements.
- Land Registration and real property disputes (easements, restrictive covenants etc) especially arising in the context of commercial or development land.
- Business landlord and tenant disputes including guarantees and leasehold covenants, rent review, and business lease renewal.
- Telecoms and electronic communications, acting for and advising landowners faced with applications from telecoms operators under the “new” Electronic Communications Code 2017 including Cornerstone v St Giles General Partner Ltd  UKUT 103 (LC).
- Utilities including water and sewerage, gas and electricity supply.
- Insurance claims relating to real property and disputes over insurance covenants in business leases.
- Property-related insolvency including administration, receivership and CVAs.
- Arbitration of commercial property and property-related disputes.
- Equitable and pre-emptive remedies in relation to disputes involving property including specific performance and injunctive relief including freezing orders. Julian has particular experience of contractual rectification claims having acted in the leading rectification case of Chartbrook Limited v Persimmon Homes  AC 1101 (voted one of the fifteen most important cases of the last 125 years in an ICLR poll in 2015) and in numerous other rectification cases.
- Professional negligence work in a property context including claims arising from any of the above areas brought against solicitors, surveyors, valuers, insurance brokers, and land agents.
Recent editions of the leading directories have described Julian as “dynamic, forward thinking, progressive and engaged”, “an instructing solicitor’s dream; he is unafraid to stick to his views, and holds his own against leading silks”, “phenomenally efficient and has a very good knowledge of the law”, and “a great team player, commercial, hard-working, and clients really trust him”. He is “superb value for money”, “brilliant at finding and articulating strong arguments”, and “provides comprehensive advice and is extremely user-friendly”.
Julian is again listed in the Who’s Who Legal: UK Bar 2020 for Real Estate.
Julian welcomes invitations to act on expert determinations to determine disputes within his areas of expertise at the request of parties to disputes