International / offshore, Commercial disputes, Insolvency, Trusts, probate and estates: contentious, Trusts, probate and estates: non-contentious
STEP Cayman Seminar
Monday 21 September 2015
The Brasserie Conference Facilities, 171 Elgin Avenue, Cricket Square George Town, Grand Cayman
Freedman case – mistake in practice after Pitt v Holt
Clare Stanley QC
- What does “causative ignorance” mean?
- What is a “mistaken tacit assumption”?
- Importance of evidence
- Mistakes exclusively about tax
- Is “but for” causation required?
Defending Trusts from attack – who pays the costs?
Michael Furness QC
- When will trustees of trust be permitted to fund the defence of the trust from the trust fund?
- When will the court leave it to a third party to undertake the defence of the trust?
- What happens when the trust is a STAR trust?
- Can the challenger ever get his costs from the trust fund in any event?
- How can the successful challenger be protected if the defence is to be paid for by the trust fund