+44 (0)20 7306 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bobby is a much in demand senior junior. He is described in the legal directories as a “rising star” who is “staggeringly clever” and “noted for his advocacy capabilities and the practical approach he takes to cases.”
Bobby specialises in general commercial disputes, with an emphasis on civil fraud – with extensive experience of freezing injunctions, as well as Russian/CIS disputes; company and insolvency; commercial trusts; commercial pensions disputes; energy/mining; and art and cultural property disputes, particularly those with a commercial angle.
Bobby appears regularly in both the Commercial and Chancery Courts as well as in arbitrations. He has substantial offshore experience and is called in the BVI.
Bobby enjoys working as sole counsel (or leading a junior); he frequently appears unled, often against silks, or silk and junior teams, in high-value and complicated matters. He also enjoys acting as a junior on substantial disputes (either as sole junior, or as the senior junior in a larger team). Bobby’s experience involves acting in some of the most high-profile and high value cases of recent years.
Bobby has also acted as an expert, determining disputes between parties by way of alternative dispute resolution.
Bobby recognises the importance of a detailed and analytical approach, and combines this with pragmatism and tenacity.
Other directory recommendations include that he is “enthusiastic and technically excellent”, “unafraid to make difficult calls and he portrays a confidence that belies his years“; is “very consistent and authoritative” in his advice; and has a “tenacious advocacy style.” Other comments include that Bobby “is fun to work with, super clever and incredibly responsive”; and that “He is a very good junior who gives very efficient and effective service, and has strong advocacy skills.”
A snapshot of ongoing and recent cases includes:
- Acting as sole counsel for a defendant resisting a major Commercial Court fraud claim worth over £1 billion.
- As sole counsel in a number of separate High Court fraud claims arising out of email “phishing” These include: Solid property v Singh  3 WLUK 589, where Bobby successfully obtained and held a freezing injunction (otherwise ongoing); and the ongoing, high-profile Rijksmuseum Twenthe v Simon C Dickinson.
- Acting as sole counsel against a silk and junior team in a high-value Chancery Division dispute concerning the termination of a commercial agency (ongoing).
- Acting (being led by Alan Gourgey QC and leading Jia Wei Lei) in an ongoing LCIA arbitration concerning a major commercial dispute relating to a Russian mine, worth many hundreds of millions of dollars.
- As sole counsel, acting against a silk and junior team in a major High Court share dispute, scheduled for a 3-week trial in late 2020.
- Acting as sole counsel for the claimant in a Commercial Court claim for conspiracy against private equity investors (ongoing).
- Acting as sole counsel for a Kazakh bank in a Commercial Court fraud claim (ongoing, Norwich Pharmacal relief obtained).
- Acting as sole counsel for the defendants in a High Court dispute concerning joint venture agreements relating to the artworks of Robert Indiana (ongoing).
- Acting as a junior in the major litigation between the city brokerages BGC and Tradition, which settled during a 3-week trial in late 2019.
- Acting as sole counsel in an ICC arbitration (award awaited).
- Successfully resisting the enforcement of an arbitration award worth some $3 billion, in the Commercial Court: Gazprom v Naftogaz  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 20.
- BVI proceedings concerning whether a trust of shares in a very high-profile Ukrainian company is a fraud (ongoing).
- Acting in a number of LME arbitrations, including successfully acting for a trading company seeking relief for non-delivery of copper concentrate (2019), and representing a trading company in a dispute relating to want of title (ongoing).
- Bobby has expertise in pensions and frequently acts in pensions cases involving pensions liberation, fraud and/or in pensions regulatory proceedings, particularly concerning the removal of trustees.