+44 (0)20 7306 email@example.com
Tara has a broad commercial chancery practice, spanning Chambers’ main practice areas. She is regularly instructed to appear as sole counsel in the High Court and County Court, as well as part of a larger team in more substantial cases. Her practice also involves a wide range of advisory work.
Tara has worked on both domestic and international disputes, including ICC and LCIA arbitrations, and she is frequently instructed in complex commercial matters with an international element. Recent work has involved jurisdictions including Russia, the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong, Kurdistan, the BVI and Guernsey.
Tara is ranked in The Legal 500 2021 as a “Rising Star” for offshore work, who is able to “succinctly outline complex legal questions for the court”.
In late 2019 Tara spent several months on secondment in the dispute resolution team at a leading international law firm in the Cayman Islands, where she worked on a number of commercial, company and insolvency related matters.
Recent examples of notable work include:
- Acting for one of the former directors of BHS Group Ltd in respect of claims brought by the group’s Joint Liquidators for misfeasance and wrongful trading, valued at over £160m (BHS Group Limited & Ors v Dominic Chappell & Ors), led by Lexa Hilliard QC and Rachael Earle
- Acting for the defendants in a €100 million Commercial Court fraud claim alleged to relate to the collapse of the Steinhoff Group in South Africa, reportedly the result of South Africa’s largest ever private sector accounting fraud scandal, led by Bobby Friedman
- Acting for the defendants in relation to a £6.5m worldwide freezing injunction and imaging order obtained by a multinational cosmetics company in respect of various fraud and conspiracy claims, led by Tim Penny QC
- Acting for the defendant in a Commercial Court claim concerning the validity of derivatives contracts, involving allegations of bad faith (Goldman Sachs v J Garcia Carrion), led by Max Mallin QC
- Acting for one of the respondents in two related LCIA arbitrations concerning a joint venture dispute in relation to the appraisal and development of gas fields in the Middle East, led by Alan Gourgey QC
- Acting for the claimants in a multi-million pound civil fraud claim involving allegations of deceit, forgery, identity theft and secret commissions (Sheikh Mohammed al Jaber & Ors v Salfiti and Ors), led by Lexa Hilliard QC
- Acting in Cayman Island proceedings for the petitioner in a winding up petition brought on the just and equitable ground (Tianrui (International) Holding Company Ltd v China Shanshui Cement Group), led by Tom Lowe QC
- Acting for two defendants in National Bank Trust v Yurov & Ors  EWHC 100 (Comm) concerning a $1billion Russian law fraud claim brought by a Russian bank against three of its former directors, led by Tim Penny QC
- Successfully obtaining an urgent injunction in a claim for breach of contract and conversion in the context of a valuable vintage car collection, led by John Wardell QC
- Acting for a minor in a claim brought under the Inheritance (Provision for Family of Dependants) Act 1975, led by Fenner Moeran QC
- Acting for the claimant in an ICC arbitration concerning the development of a gas field, led by Alan Gourgey QC and Iain Pester
- Acting as sole counsel in the High Court to successfully discharge an injunction imposed in the context of the administration of an estate
- Acting as sole counsel in the High Court on behalf of the supermarket Tesco to successfully obtain an urgent injunction in connection with possession proceedings
- Advising offshore trustees as to the enforceability of a foreign judgment
- Successfully obtaining default judgment granting a new tenancy of business premises under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- Acting as sole counsel in the High Court in an application to remove the executor of an estate
- Advising on the beneficial ownership of residential property arising under a common intention constructive trust
- Advising an estate management company in relation to breach of covenants by the freeholder.
Tara joined Chambers in 2017 upon successful completion of her pupillage.
Prior to commencing pupillage, Tara spent several months working for a Senior Counsel at a top tier chambers in Hong Kong.
Tara studied Oriental Studies (Chinese) at Oxford University, graduating in 2011 with a first-class degree. She was a Domus scholar and recipient of the Brian Wilson Scholarship for academic excellence, as well as numerous other prizes. Tara went on to obtain a distinction on the GDL and was subsequently graded outstanding on the BPTC.
Tara is a Lord Denning scholar at Lincoln’s Inn and recipient of both the Hardwicke Entrance Award and Buchanan Prize.