Trusts, probate and estates: non-contentious
Wilberforce Chambers has a history of excellence in the field of private client work. Wilberforce was awarded Set of the Year at the Chambers High Net Worth Awards 2020 and Private Client Set of the Year at The Legal 500 UK Awards 2020.
Our specialist private client team of barristers assist private individuals, trustees, and beneficiaries in the range of technical areas listed below:
- Non-contentious litigation such as applications under the Variation of Trusts Act 1958, under section 57 of the Trustee Act 1925, section 48 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985 and applications by trustees or personal representatives for permission to administer on certain footings;
- Drafting of trusts, wills and supplemental documentation such as appointments, advancements, deeds of variation, indemnities and releases;
- Advice on technical questions relating to trusts and estates such as perpetuities and accumulations, the treatment of income under section 31 of the Trustee Act 1925, uses of statutory and express powers of advancement, the operation of engrafted trusts and questions regarding reversionary interests; and
- The tax treatment of trusts and estates, including inheritance tax and related capital gains tax, income tax and SDLT issues.
- Advising on conflict of laws questions relating to trusts and estates where there is a foreign element.
- Advising, undertaking drafting and appearing in non-contentious proceedings concerning trusts and estates in foreign jurisdictions whose systems of law are based on English law principles, as well as providing UK tax advice in relation to trusts and estates in offshore jurisdictions.
Wilberforce Chambers publishes a regular Private Client eBriefing update – if you would like to be added to the mailing list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rankings and recognition
Wilberforce was awarded Set of the Year at the Chambers High Net Worth Awards 2020 and Private Client Set of the Year at The Legal 500 UK Awards 2020.
Chambers is ranked in Band 1 in Legal 500 (2021) for Private Client: Trusts and Probate and in Band 1 for Chambers UK Bar Directory (2021) in Chancery: Traditional. We are also proud to have individual barristers ranked highly in the private client categories of the directories.
Chambers’ coverage includes the following:
Chambers UK 2021:
Wilberforce Chambers is “my go-to set for lots of chancery matters,” says an interviewee, who explains: “They have such a lot of good barristers, and the level of service is so high. The clerking is excellent, and they are very commercial in their approach.” “The team are very knowledgeable and thoughtful, and their strengths are in technical expertise and the robustness of the advice,” states a source. Another commentator describes Wilberforce as the “first choice of set for trust work” and adds: “To my mind, it’s the top set for trust work.”
The Legal 500 UK 2021:
Wilberforce Chambers is “one of the standout top sets”. “It has a depth of exceptionally skilled junior barristers and exceptional talent at the senior end which means that it always has the right counsel available at the right level to meet each client’s needs.” It is a “remarkable set”.