Our barristers routinely appear as counsel in international arbitrations covering all areas of Chambers’ practice including disputes relating to commercial contracts, joint ventures and partnerships, trusts, companies, property and projects.
Our members are familiar with the rules of the major arbitration forums including LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, SCC, SIAC, WIPO and ICSID. They are particularly well placed to argue cases in offshore jurisdictions, such as the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Cyprus. Other jurisdictions in which recent arbitrations have taken place include Russia, Ukraine, India, the US, Hong Kong, Singapore and the Middle East.
Our barristers often appear in national courts in matters relating to arbitration proceedings, for example, to seek anti-suit injunctions or interim remedies in support of arbitration, or to appeal or challenge awards.
Recent arbitration cases include:
- LCIA arbitration acting for the claimant bank seeking to recover US$400 million from a defaulting debtor and its guarantors.
- Arbitral proceedings in Dubai, and DIFC court proceedings in aid of the arbitration, in a dispute between joint venturers, with an alleged value of US$180 million.
- LCIA arbitration for an ‘app’ development company, which was in dispute with a major telecoms manufacturer over breach of an installation contract.
- DIFC-LCIA arbitration case to defend a building contractor against a US$10 million claim brought by a sub-contractor. We also helped the contractor oppose an application in the DIFC court for a freezing injunction in aid of these arbitral proceedings.
- English arbitration law before the Cypriot court in an application for a worldwide freezing injunction against a Cypriot entity in support of LCIA arbitration proceedings.
- Major European spare parts company defend a multi-million pound ICC arbitration claim for breach of warranty following sale of the business.
- Major ICC construction arbitration in Saudi Arabia.
- Hedge fund involved in complex derivative trading in a LCIA arbitration following a dispute between partners.